GO TO WWW.LIANG4CUPERTINOCOUNCIL.COM TO VISIT MY CAMPAIGN WEBSITE FOR CUPERTINO CITY COUNCIL.
THERE YOU’LL BE ABLE TO READ MY CAMPAIGN STATEMENT AND TO FIND OUT WHY I’M RUNNING.
Dr. Liang-Fang “Liang” Chao (趙良方) and her husband Weixun Cao have lived in Cupertino for 18 years, raising their two sons who attend the Cupertino Union School District. Liang holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Princeton University, and has taught at the university level in the United States and abroad prior to moving to Silicon Valley. After a career in high-tech, Liang now devotes her time to education and community issues.
Volunteer experience within CUSD:
- Volunteers in classrooms and other school activities.
- Facilitated interactive Math Circles for more than two years. Math Circle encourages students to ask questions, rather than just answer them, and focus on problem solving and presentation of the solution.
- Involved in founding Math Olympiads after school program with other parents, which became an ongoing program.
- Volunteer mentor in Maker Faire’s Young Maker program, where children are inspired to innovate and experiment, combining science, engineering, art, performance and craft skills, to create a project and present at Maker Faire.
- Assist parents to communicate concerns to district administration regarding Common Core Math curriculum adoption, math placement and advanced math track, and the 1:1 iPad program.
- Communicated detailed progress of truck ordinance, rescheduling of garbage collection for bike safety, crossing guards and other issues on Safe Routes 2 Schools to district parents.
Other volunteer and community experience:
- Served on the board of YMCA Camp Campbell, Program Committee and Fundraising.
- Volunteer as a storyteller for the Children’s Story Time and preschool reading program at the San Jose Public Library.
- Established Better Cupertino, which raises awareness about transparency and accountability in handling development projects in Cupertino and empowers residents and children to engage in civic matters.